Thursday, January 13, 2022

Last Things (McInerny)



The library didn't have the Tony Hillerman mystery I was seeking, but then I spotted Last Things by Ralph McInerny. I had read some McInerny Father Dowling mysteries years ago and remembered enjoying them, so I thought I'd give this one a read.

It was a workman-like mystery, certainly better than some I've read. But given the really good mystery writers I'd been reading - like Hillerman or Margaret Coel -  not top tier. There were too many stereotyped characters and situations, too many of the typical conservative criticisms of the direction the Church has take. Once the victim was revealed, I immediately figured out the killer nearly a hundred pages before the end. And the ending, by the way, was a bit too pat. 

I'll read more McInerny. Maybe there are better books by him - perhaps some of the earlier ones in case this one was a matter of getting into a rut. And Father Dowling is still an interesting character.

Pax et bonum

No comments: