Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Nancy Drew



While sorting through books in storage, I came across three Nancy Drew Mystery Stories volumes. I  don't recall ever buying them, but we probably got them when the girls were young thinking they would read them.

I knew that the Drew books were a response to the popularity of The Hardy Boys books, some of which I had read when I was young (along with the Tom Swift books). Like the Hardy Boys, the books were written by various authors. In the Nancy Drew case, there were all published under the name of "Carolyn Keene."

These particular editions are from the revised series that came out after 1959. The original books (published from 1930-1959) contained some racial stereotypes, so those were eliminated. This is good, but apparently, in the process all non-white characters were basically eliminated! The books were shortened and the language simplified, sadly reflecting the decline in reading abilities and attention spans. Nancy was toned down, made less violent and outspoken, and more respectful of male authority(!).

I put the books in the pile of books to be donated to the library for their used book sale. But then, having just finished a book, I decided to read one of them. 

I kept in mind that the target audience was for 8-12-year-old girls, so I knew it would not be on par with some of the great and more complex mysteries I like to read.

We had the first book in the series, The Secret of the Old Clock, but my eyes were drawn to The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes with a picture on the cover of a lass in kilts (presumably Nancy) playing a bagpipe.

I'm a sucker for things Scottish, so that's the one I chose.

Okay. 

It was kind of bland. And the plot, well ... 

If I were a 10-year-old girl I might have really enjoyed it, and wanted to read more of the books. 

But as for me, it and its unread companions will indeed be donated.

Pax et bonum

No comments: