Monday, March 25, 2024

Reading Woes



Okay, I've set all sorts of reading goals, and I'm on my way to complete them for this year.

But I also feel a desire to read works recommended by others as books I should read. Joseph Pearce, in his book Literature: What Every Catholic Should Know, includes a list of "Great Works of Literature Every Catholic Should Know".

I've actually read 60 of them, and parts of several others. I will likely read some of the the others. But to be honest, I simply don't like the works of some writers on his list. Flannery O'Connor is the one who stands out. I find her painful to read. I also don't particularly like Walker Percy's books. And though I've read several  of Jane Austen's novels, I, frankly, find her kind of boring.

Sigh.

I am an intellectual slug.

Brandon Vogt also has a great list of more than 100 titles ("Best Catholic Books of All Timer"). Alas, I have read only 24 of those. He has a subsequent list ("More of the Best Catholic Books"). I've read just 8 of them, most of which overlap with Pearce's list.

I am at the point in my life when I struggle to read some of the more "difficult" works. Some of the theological and classical works are sometimes difficult for me to slog through.

I like mysteries and sometimes lighter fare. I like classical American novels. I like Dickens. I like the poetry of Dickinson and Frost. I like haiku and clerihews and light verse. I like the works of  Louis de Wohl. I like short essays. I like history and biography. I like some fantasy and science fiction.

So maybe my reading will be more eclectic.  

Pax et bonum

No comments: