Monday, April 29, 2024

Heretics Followup


In a recent post I noted that I just finished rereading Heretics by G. K. Chesterton, and that I planned to read some of the works and writers he mentioned. I just finished two of those: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, and Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw.

Wilde's play was an amusing bit of fluff. There plot - such as it was - seemed really just intended to provide a framework on which to hang witticisms. The characters were shallow, and the resolution, well, everybody get married!

Shaw's play also ended with possible marriages. But there was a bit more depth to the characters, the dialogue and plot were more plausible, and there was some social criticism.

I can now say I've read both. Of the two, I prefer Shaw's play. But I don't feel the need to read more of his plays at this point.

Pax et bonum

No comments: