Friday, September 27, 2024

I Am Going Home (Song)


Earlier this year I attended a great concert by The Tannahill Weavers, a Scottish band I've long liked. I owned several of their albums before the concert, but, of course, they had some for sale at the venue. I bought a couple that I did not already own.

On one of the albums I found their cover of a song by Billy Connolly, "Oh No."

It has a lively tune as the Weavers played it, and I was enjoying it ... until I listened to the words.

Yikes.

It's another one of those songs about a man declaring he's leaving home and his woman. He tells her he doesn't care if her heart is grieving, she can have the home but he's going to hit to road. And he tells her again and again not to say "oh no."

The song annoyed me. I thought at first maybe I'd use the tune to write a song opposed to the message of this one. But I thought that might lead to copyright issues.

Then I thought I'd just write an original song in response. But as I mulled over what approach to take I suddenly remembered a song that I'd partly written years before called "I Am Going Home"

I had a basic tune, a refrain, and a couple of verses already. I revised them a little, and added a couple of new verses. This is the result:

I've been here before
I've been there before
I've been everywhere and more
and now I'm going home

I am going home, Lord
I am going home.
I am going home
'cause that's where I belong.

I've done a little of this.
I've done a little of that
I've done more than I should have done,
and now I'm going home.

I am going home, Lord
I am going home.
I am going home
'cause that's where I belong.

I've worked from dawn to dusk,
I've worked the whole nith through.
I have worked the live ong day,
and now I'm going home.

I am going home, Lord
I am going home.
I am going home
'cause that's where I belong.

I've seen some pretty women,
all around the world,
but none of them's as pretty
as the one that waits back home.

I am going home, Lord
I am going home.
I am going home
'cause that's where I belong.

I've sung this song before
you know I'll sing it again,
but let me say once more
that I am going home.  

I am going home, Lord
I am going home.
I am going home
'cause that's where I belong.

Pax et bonum

No comments: