Friday, July 24, 2026

I want to be in that number



I recently attended a funeral for a 92-year-old woman. I did not know her personally; she was the mother of one of the members of our Secular Franciscan Fraternity. The only time I ever met her was last year when I attended the funeral of her husband.

As I listened to people talking about her I got a clearer picture of who she was. She had been a nurse, but when she married she devoted herself to her family, which eventually included four children. She was noted for her humor and her faith.

Over the years, she sadly saw two of her children die before her, and last year, her husband. She also battled cancer. Yet apparently, she remained cheerful and a source of strength to others.

Sound like a saint.

The thing is, she may indeed be in Heaven either now or soon and thus would be a saint. But she will not be recognized "officially" as a saint.

There are several people who may be canonized soon, Blessed Solanus Casey. Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen. I've heard a cause has begun for Sigrid Undset.

But they have orders or fans or governments backing their causes. I'm not saying they don't deserve to be canonized, but the 92-year-old mother has no such backers.

Nor is she alone. 

There are so many good and holy people I've met in my life. They may now be saints in Heaven, but they don't have the fame or the backing on earth to promote their canonization causes.

I'm glad we have generic mention of the saints in Heaven, asking them to pray for us.

As for all those uncanonized saints, they are enjoying the Beatific Vision and likely don't care about official recognition here on earth.

I pray some day i might be worthy to join them.

Pax et bonum

No comments: