Saturday, November 14, 2009

Serendipity in the chapel

I had a wonderful moment in the Perpetual Adoration Chapel at St. Theodore's today.

I had dropped off my car at a garage for some work, and since the church was along my walk home I decided to stop by the chapel to pray.

I went in. There was a woman there already praying. We acknowledged each other, then focused on our prayers.

After a little while, a young couple came in. The young lady - she seemed so impossibly young - was cradling a baby in her arms.

They were trying to get in the church, which was locked (only the chapel remains open 24 hours). They had an appointment to meet with one of the staff for baptismal preparation. The two of us in the chapel said the staff member might only be delayed a few minutes as she was not likely to miss an appointment, and I made a joke that maybe she was on Franciscan time. We told them which door was the office door.

They left. We returned to our praying.

Shortly thereafter I started to say a Rosary - the Joyful Mysteries.

When I got to the Fourth Mystery - the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple - it hit me that that that's what that young couple was getting ready to do. A Mystery, and reality. I chuckled.

The lights later came on in the church. My guess was that the staff member had shown up, and the couple was getting ready to present their child to God and the community.

Alleluia. Watch over them, Lord.

Pax et bonum

No comments: