Wednesday, July 30, 2014

That novel I've been working on forever


I glanced at the novel I'd been working on forever (it seems).

It was not good.

Actually, it was disheartening .

The concept is fine. Some of the action sequences work well, as do some of the sections of dialogue. But parts of the story are dated - not surprising because I started it so long ago. The transitions and descriptive details are often weak. It's too preachy - dwelling too much on the ideas and not developed as a story. Sort of like those bad but sincere Christian movies.

It may still see the light of day, but boy, would it need work. Perhaps I need to take it to a workshop for guidance.

I've had far more success with poetry and plays. Maybe those are what I need to focus more on.

I certainly seem to have the attention span for shorter works; I get bored when dealing with long pieces or sustained efforts. Perhaps that's one reason why I was successful as a journalist.  

Pax et bonum

1 comment:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I read tons -- as you know. I am not an editor, but I am not afraid to offer comments, if you are seeking them (and could handle them).