Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Franciscan and Writing Focus for the Summer


As I wait to find out whether or not I have a job next year, I've already begun to think ahead to this summer and what I may/should accomplish.

First, the "may."

My department head is already talking as if I will be back, and if so my taking over some honors classes she currently teachers in anticipation of her retirement next year (and, I suspect, to get me with the higher functioning students with whom I tend to do well). If that does happen, I will have a lot of reading to do this summer in preparation. Some of the works for the course I haven't read in years - Jane Eyre, The Odyssey, The Merchant of Venice, for example. Plus we are turning the course into a pre-AP course, so the writing requirements will have to change.

As for "should" - two things.

No matter what happens with my job, I plan to get up several HubPages articles - I'd like to see 6-8 posted. That will involve a lot of research and writing. I look at that as just a start - creating a presence on the HubPages with the long-term goal of generating income down the road. I have a couple of ideas and have already started gathering notes and material, I just need  the time to get writing.

I also plan to do some Franciscan studies. As a Secular Franciscan, there is so much for me still to learn. I have several manuals - For Up to Now: Foundational Topics for Initial Formation (which replaced the manual used when I was in formation); Handbook for Franciscan Servant Leadership; and A Guide for Franciscan Youth/Young Adult Ministry. There are also a number Franciscan books sitting on my bookshelf.

At the very least, I want to read the first two manuals, plus some of the Franciscan books.

My vocation is to be a Franciscan - not a deacon, or a parish minister - and if I am going to be a good Franciscan I need to grow and learn. And though I have been balking, if I am called to leadership as others seem to be indicating I need to prepare for that. I'm currently on the Council, and I could see at the 2015 election being selected for an office - Formation, Vice Minister, or, God help me, Minister. I'd prefer to avoid all that, but I leave it in the hands of God and the fraternity.

In addition, I plan to prepare the music book for next year if, as it appears, I'll be leading the music for fraternity meetings. I've already started working on the book.

All this is on top regular writing - some poems and back to the novel.

A busy summer ahead - but first I have to get there ( some papers await grading today!), and I need to have my job situation settled. If I won't be returning to my current position I'll be doing some job-related scrambling.  

Pax et bonum

No comments: