Friday, April 11, 2014

"Wuthering Heights" not a reading highlight


Yes, I know, it's a literary classic. I know they made a highly regarded movie out of it back in 1939. I know that Cathy and Heathcliff are considered one of literature's great romantic couples.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte did not make it for me.

I just could not believe the characters. I thought the plot too contrived. I found nothing likable or romantic about the leads - both of whom I found to be cruel and selfish.

I only read it - and finished it - because it's part of the curriculum I inherited and I had to teach it.

Now mind you, there are other gothic-tinged romantic books I have read and enjoyed - Jane Eyre or Rebecca, for example. I thought they were well-written and I found the characters interesting.

Wuthering Heights does not belong with them. If I teach this course again - still up in the air - I plan to substitute another book - maybe Great Expectations.

Pax et bonum

No comments: