Thursday, January 1, 2015

Read in 2014


Poem Depot: Aisles of Smiles written and drawn by Douglas Florian
The Beekeeper's Apprentice: or, On the Segregation of the Queen by Laurie King
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Good Friday Murders by Lee Harris
The Shadow Dancer by Margaret Coel
Desert Wisdom: Sayings from the Desert Fathers translated and illustrated by Yushi Nomura
Chameleon by William X Kienzle
The Mayor of MacDougal Street by Dave Van Ronk (with Elijah Wald)
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave
Handbook for Franciscan Servant Leadership"
Inside the Walls of Troy by Clemence McLaren
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
Congratulations, by the way by George Saunders
The Last Crusader by Louis de Wohl
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
O, What a Luxury by Garrison Keillor

So there's last year's list. Twenty books. Some people read more than that in a month!

Some I read because of school - as I reteach books. I only count the first reading (or the first in a long time), so, for example, I'm reading Romeo and Juliet and The Things They Carried again along with my students, but I won't count them in my 2015 list. And I didn't count The Great Gatsby or Antigone for last year as they were recent rereads. Some of the books I read only because they are on my students' reading lists.

But some I read for just for myself. I'm disappointed to see how few religious titles there are. Hmm.

Favorites: O'Brien, Zasuk, Nomura, Coel, and Griffin.   

Pax et bonum

No comments: