Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Resolutions 2015 - Reading


As part of my resolutions for the New Year, I have some books in mind to read.

I've already started a number of books - just need to get back to them or finish them:

Urodivoi: Holy Fools by Catherine Doherty
Consider the Ravens: On Contemporary Hermit Life by Paul and Karen Fredette
Bad Religion: How We Became A Nation of Heretics by Ross Douthat
The Divine Comedy by Dante
In the First Circle by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I'll be sampling some mystery stories, certainly, though I'm not sure yet which ones.

I need to read at least one Franciscan book. I'm leaning toward Father Daniel Horan's Francis of Assisi and the Future of Faith

Others I'm considering reading:

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (I've seen so many of the movies)

Two rereads in the pile (after many years):

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

There will also be assorted magazines, especially haiku related.

I'm sure more books will surface.

Pax et bonum

1 comment:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Not a bad list. Myself, I think I'm done with the classics --- last year I donated all my nice hardcopies to the newly-opened Catholic girls high school.

One you might consider adding to your list is an old classic, written in the year of my birth, but recently re-released. I'll write a review soon. I definitely found a peace in the wording: This Tremendous Lover, by M. Eugene Boylan.