Tuesday, December 23, 2014

"Happy Holidays" - Bah, Humbug!


I received a fundraising letter today from an organization run by an order of women religious - one of the ones that like to ride buses. The organization does good work among the local poor. I've donated to them for years.

But this letter hit a nerve.


The letter begins "Happy Holidays." The "holiday season" gets mentioned a couple of times in the letter, but there's no mention of Christmas. Not once.

My first thought was that they seem ashamed to proclaim the Gospel.

Now it could be they'll argue the letter was designed to appeal to an ecumenical audience. But does that mean they place getting money above proclaiming their Catholic identity?

It doesn't sit well with me.

As I said, I've given to this organization before. I won't this year - the money will go to a Catholic organization doing similar work.

As for next year, we'll see.

Pax et bonum

No comments: