Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Crowded GOP field is fine with me


I'm a registered Right to Life Party member. (The party technically exists in NY, but is basically inactive in state elections, and so I'm considered a "blank.")

When I vote, I vote for the candidate, based on his/her positions. Most often, I vote for Republican candidates, only because they are more likely to go along with Catholic teachings on social issues. I have issues with the GOP on a number of economic issues, though. I was a member of the Democratic Party for more than 30 years - I was even the member of a city committee, and was once asked to run for town office as a Democrat! - but that party moved too far away from Catholic teachings.

When people ask what party I belong to, my shorthand response is "Catholic."

Which brings me to 2016.

None of the Democrats really appeal to me - though I find Sanders amusing! - because of their positions. Which means I will likely vote for a Republican for President, unless they nominate someone I can't support. Then I'll go Third Party again (as I did, for example, in 2000 and 2004).

Which means that I am locking at the 128 GOP candidates to see who I could support. The number of candidates seeking the nomination gives me a chance to find a few I could support.

In 2008, I backed Huckabee. I'd vote for him this time around, and he is my first choice. At this point, Rubio is my second choice. I could vote for Walker or Jindal if they got in. Maybe Kasich. I'd vote for Santorum, though I don't think he has a chance. I might even be tempted to vote for a ticket with a Bush on it (in 6 chances before, I had never voted for a ticket with a Bush on it!).

I'm watching, listening, checking them all out. It's nice to have some choices.

Pax et bonum

No comments: