Saturday, May 7, 2016

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream (Part 2)


Finally got the results of the sleep study I did to try to figure out why I was waking up so often and so tired much of the time - regularly falling asleep or nodding off during the day.

Sleep apnea - mild, to moderate.

Not bad enough to be dangerous to my health, but enough to interfere with life.

Immediately they tried to get me on one of those CPAP units. I suspected they would; it's a source of income, after all. But insurance  (due to the deductible) does not cover the machine, so I was going to be spending quite a bit out of pocket. I questioned whether it was really necessary. Well ... no, my issue is not a threat to my health. They also said there were some things I could do, but did not elaborate beyond sleeping on my side rather than my back. I said I wanted to think about it.

I went home and did some research - on multiple sites. Where I sleep - side vs. back -is indeed one way to reduce the problem. So is losing weight. Taking medicine to counter my allergies. reducing alcohol consumption - not that I drink a lot, but I do have a beer many evenings - are other ways.

Reducing my weight and fighting my allergies are things I want to do anyway, and would help me in other parts of my life. The beer - well as part of a diet I'd already be giving that up already.

For now, I'm going with the lifestyle solutions rather than spending money on the machine. If that helps, great.

But at least I now know what's wrong, and that it's not a major risk.

Pax et bonum

No comments: