Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Divine Praises (and inappropriate language)


Blessed be God.
Blessed be His Holy Name.
Blessed be Jesus Christ, true God and true Man.
Blessed be the Name of Jesus.
Blessed be His Most Sacred Heart.
Blessed be His Most Precious Blood.
Blessed be Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Blessed be the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete.
Blessed be the great Mother of God, Mary most Holy.
Blessed be her Holy and Immaculate Conception.
Blessed be her Glorious Assumption.
Blessed be the name of Mary, Virgin and Mother.
Blessed be St. Joseph, her most chaste spouse.
Blessed be God in His Angels and in His Saints. Amen.


The Divine Praises have been a part of my prayer life for a while now.

Often associated with Benediction services - I do say it then - I've made recitation of it as a part of my morning prayers each day, and as a prayer that I recite at Mass after Communion (along with the St. Michael Prayer and the Hail Mary).

Apparently it was originally composed in the 18th Century as a way to make reparation for profane or blasphemous language. I did not know that, but given my ongoing fight against the use of foul and  offensive language, it makes my use of the prayer even more appropriate.

And now knowing this, maybe I should recite it whenever I'm tempted - or give in - to using insulting or sarcastic language. After all, when I speak unkindly of or toward others I am insulting Our Lord as well.

I recommend daily recitation of this prayer - and especially when moved to be less guarded in what we say.

Pax et bonum

No comments: