Monday, March 18, 2019

A Democrat Asked Me to Break the Law.


A Democratic county legislator came to our door the other day. My wife is still a registered Democrat - she's been meaning to change her party enrollment for years given the direction of that party, but hasn't gotten around to it. The legislator at the door was running for reelection (or to force a primary), and needed signatures on his petition.

I answered the door, and he asked if she could come to the door to sign it for him. I explained that she was in the other room holding the dog (who doesn't like when strangers come to the door). He said I could take the petition to her and have her sign it.

Wait a minute. Election laws in our state require the person getting the signatures to witness the signing, and to declare he has done so. But in this case, he would be lying. Moreover, I could have just gone into another room and signed it myself, forging her signature.

So when he asked me to take it to her and get her to sign it, I said, "That would be against the law."

He looked surprised at my response, then he caught himself. I wasn't sure if he'd simply forgotten the law, or just didn't care about following it. He mumbled a quick thanks, gave me his card and some campaign literature, and left.

I was reminded of a situation that took place decades ago. I was 17, volunteering, along with several of my fellow high school students, on a Democratic Presidential candidate's campaign. The local campaign chairman offered to drive my fellow high school students and me to another city where we could be registered to vote despite the fact that we were underage. Even at 17 I knew that would be dishonest, so I turned him down. My fellow underage volunteers also declined.

As for the more recent incident, it's sad that an officeholder, someone representing my area, would be so willing to violate the law - whether it was out of ignorance, or out of contempt for the law.

He will not be getting our vote.

And I might be reporting him to the Board of Elections.

Pax et bonum

No comments: