Sunday, September 13, 2020

The Idiot (Dostoyevsky)


Book Review: “The Idiot” by Fyodor Dostoevsky, translated by Eva Martin.  (1869) | Elliot's Blog

I just finished The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's been on my list for a long time, having read and enjoyed Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov years ago.

I liked the book - though I admit it was a heavy read! I recognize there is truth to his basic premise that the world will try to destroy someone as innocent, as Christ-like as Prince Myshkin. That the Prince is "broken" is not a surprise - that has happened to Christ and many saints over the years. And the Prince did have a positive effect on many people's lives - as also did Christ and the saints. 

But I guess I find his ending a bit too dark.  Christ was ultimately triumphant, and the saints entered eternal glory. An institute in Switzerland is nice, but not quite "glory." 

Still, a good read. I recommend it. Prince Myshkin will linger in my thoughts.

But for now, I think I will seek out some shorter, lighter fare! 

Maybe  good mystery story. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: