Thursday, October 15, 2020

Swedenborg Pause?


Now that I have the full edited text of what I've written so far in the "Swedenborg" novel - some 40,000 words' worth - posted on this blog, I've reached the point I did when I paused in my writing of it several years ago.

The novel deals with some dark things, and even though I've now removed some of the dark elements, it still troubles me. As I noted, I started it when I was a reader (and writer) of horror fiction, but that was years ago. I've pretty much stopped reading such fiction - I have no desire to darken my soul. And even though I've tried to "baptize" the story, parts of it still trouble me. Indeed, at least one of the incidents recounted in the story actually happened to me. it was a serious temptation at that time, and only by the grace of God was I able to resist it. It still haunts me. I feel uncomfortable recounting it. 

And though I am a person of faith, there are weaknesses in my character that are subject to temptations.

What to do?

I want to focus on what is more spiritually nourishing, and, given my own weakness, I want to avoid things that could draw me to darker things.

I think I'm going to pause for now.

I have other things to work on. One of them is the Santa "novel" I wrote some elements of years ago. That is more in keeping with my current state. Those elements amount to easily as many words as this novel. And there is the "bee" mystery novel I started collecting notes for.

I am more inclined to YA and children's literature. That seems to be more where i need to focus - for my own good, and for the good of others. 

Pax et bonum

 

No comments: