Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Recent Reads


I'm well on my way to making my goal of 90 books/plays read this year. I'm already up to 12!

The most recent reads were The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien, Before She Dies by Steven F. Havill, and Mountain Interval by Robert Frost.


The first volume of the Lord of the Rings trilogy is actually a reread. I'd read it twice before - back in the 1970's, then again in the 1990's. But I haven't read the entire trilogy since the '70's, and given the current political situation it seemed a good time (along with some dystopias like Brave New World and 1984) to do so.

It is as good as I remember. And, as I suspected, it does echo some current events - the orcs sure remind me of some of the recent rioters in Washington, and the violent activities of Antifa and BLM. 


Steven Havill is not only a respected mystery writer, he was my teacher back in high school for a couple of classes and somewhat of a mentor. I'd read  couple of his other books, so when I spotted this one, I grabbed it to add to my mystery tally.

It was good, though flawed. Not as good as some of his others - there was a little awkwardness in the writing that suggested he needed an editor, and the plot offered no real surprises - but still well worth reading. 

Finally, there's Frost, my favorite poet. I am gradually reading though all of his books


This volume included some of my favorite poems by him - "The Road Not Taken," "Birches," and "A Patch of Old Snow." It also contains some more of his blank verse tales. I am not overly fond of them; I prefer his lyrics. Despite that quibble, still well worth reading. 

Meanwhile, my quest to read at least 90 books this year continues. Currently reading the collected nonsense books of Edward Lear, and about to start The Two Towers.

Pax et bonum

No comments: