Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Not My Idea ... of a book children should read



There has been much talk lately about a book by Anastasia Higgenbotham called Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness. Some school districts are making use of it. But some opponents of "critical race theory" are decrying it.  

Being a former teacher, and always being concerned about fairness and accuracy, I decided I had better read it before saying anything concerning the book. 

The book does address important issues concerning racism, and at first, it was okay. But then it started to state things in a way that implied they were facts rather than the theories or opinions that they were, and I got uneasy. Can children really differentiate between them without further knowledge?  Then we hit these facing pages: 



The book never defines what exactly "Whiteness" is. And I wondered if people would accept an author declaring "Blackness is a bad deal."

The devil page spouts things that are true in some cases or were so in the past, but it states them as if they are the reality for most people now (except for a few exceptions the author cites). This is really misleading, especially for young people who don't have broader knowledge and experience. And I kept thinking, this book in its own way is kind of racist.

This is not my idea of a book that is appropriate for children, especially given the seriousness of the issue.

Pax et bonum

No comments: