Tuesday, July 12, 2022

"The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris



I just finished The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. I'd been inspired to read it after viewing a television program about TR, who ranks as one of my favorite Presidents (Washington, Lincoln, TR, FDR, and Eisenhower are my top five.)

The book covers TR's life up until he suddenly becomes President after the assassination of McKinley. At 741 pages, it is incredibly detailed and insightful, but is readable. I can see why it won the Pulitzer Prize.

I often find after reading objective biographies of "heroes" that they end up lower in my esteem. That was not the case here, though, to be honest, I was aware of some of Roosevelt's flaws before I read it.

I always admired Roosevelt's social justice and reform policies when it came to big business, worker rights, food safety, and the environmental. His policies in those areas made him a great President. I was always uncomfortable with his his imperialism and militarism, and his blood-thirsty hunting obsession. I also got the impression I would not get along with him personally - I don't deal well with hyper-aggressive Type A personalities.

This excellent book just supported and fleshed out what I had already known.

After reading this I also saw some ways in which TR was like Trump!

One thing I think I see as common to TR and myself is that we both are willing to stick to our convictions, even if it puts us at risk.   

This biography is actually part of a trilogy that Morris wrote about Roosevelt. I'll read the second one at some point.

Pax et bonum

No comments: