Sunday, July 31, 2022

The Silver Chair



In recent days, two different people mentioned The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis. - one person declaring his esteem for the book had increased. 

I'd read the book years ago - along with the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia. But while I had reread some of the books multiple times - especially The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Magicians Nephew, which were on summer reading lists for my students - I had not read The Silver Chair since I read it the winter of 1974/75.

I had seen the BBC television production with Tom Baker of Dr. Who fame as Puddleglum (above). The recent mentions of the book brought back fond memories of his performance. (As for the production, well, terrible special effects!)

So having finished a more complex book (Archbishop Charles Chaput's excellent Things Worth Dying For: Thoughts on a Life Worth Living) I decided to give it a reread.

There were many delightful elements - and I enjoyed the allusions to or outright mentions of other books and characters in the series. It was clearly a children's book, but that's fine by me.

Glad I reread it. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: