Sunday, September 24, 2023

Persuasion (Jane Austen)



Okay. Given how many people praise her writing, I gave Jane Austen one more try. I read her first book - Northanger Abbey - and her last - Persuasion - one after the other..

I've now read four of her six novels. (I had earlier read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility.)

I have no desire to read the two novels by her that I haven't read. Objectively, I can recognize the quality of her writing. I see why so many consider her "great." But I just find "romance" novels uninteresting. All the obsession with courtship and fashion and manners bores me. With Persuasion, I read the last 100 pages just to finish the book, not out of pleasure.

Oh well. 

Back to works more to my taste. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco awaits, and after that, perhaps I'll reread East of Eden by John Steinbeck (I read it 50 years ago!). 

Pax et bonum

No comments: