Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Lonesome Dove: Won't Finish


Lonesome Dove was a highly regraded miniseries. I did not watch it all, but I saw parts of it, and I've always appreciated the acting of Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones. Then I spotted the novel by Larry McMurtry on a couple of lists of the best American novels of recent years. So I decided to give it a read.

I stopped part way through.

For me to read a book, I need to care about at least one character, or it has to have a really interesting plot or premise. It also has to avoid offending my prudish standards when it comes to content or language.

This book just seemed to drift along, and I really didn't warm up to any of the characters. It also offended my "prude" test. Not blatantly, but enough to turn me off. 

Oh, maybe if I gave it more time it might overcome my objections, but I have better things to do with my time.

It's now in the "Return To The Library" pile. 

I shifted to The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells instead. Enjoying that much more..

Pax et bonum

No comments: