Wednesday, October 25, 2023

One Reading Goal Met


One of my goals for the year was to read 60-70  books.

I hit 60 yesterday when I finished The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells.

This book was not on any of my lists, though I did plan to read more Wells. But the Friends of the Gates Public Library had a fundraiser in which one donated some money to buy a mystery bag with candy and a book in it. The bag I chose happened to have The Invisible Man in it, so when I cast aside Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty (see previous post), I picked up the Wells book.

I was also curious to see how it compared with the classic 1933 movie. I've always enjoyed the movie - especially all the scene stealing the delightful Una O'Connor perpetrated.


Obviously, the movie left out some parts and characters. And being a movie in the 1930's, it added some romance. 

I enjoyed the book. There were a number of elements not included in the movie that helped to add some depth. The ending is similar, but handled differently. But still, the movie did do justice to the book.

Now starting The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany, a book for a reading group I'm joining.

At my current rate, it seems likely I'll finish 65-70 books this year. I might even beat last year's 66.

Pax et bonum

No comments: