Friday, May 24, 2024

Yet Another List of Books to Read


As a retired teacher from a classical education school, I remain on some classical education mailing lists. 

I just got the catalog from Memorial Press, The Classical Teacher. In addition to books and other classroom materials for sale, the catalog includes articles. One that caught my attention was by Martin Cotham: "Twelve Great Christian Novels."

Listed were several that I've already read:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Lord of the Rings by J.R. Tolkien
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Les Miserable by Victor Hugo

Good start, I guess. But here are the ones I haven't read:

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
The Talisman by Sir Walter Scott
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
The Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy
Kristan Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

Hmm. Some I had thought of reading at some point (Cry, the Beloved Country,  The Count of Monte Cristo, The Violent Bear It Away, and Kristan Lavransdatter). But I also admit I've never even heard of Jayber Crow or The Talisman. 

Guess I'm not as classical as I thought.

I have a number of books on my "To Read" pile already. I may get to some of the ones on this new list eventually.

Pax et bonum

No comments: