Friday, August 22, 2014

Odd taste in folk songs


In addition to my church music, I also play some children's songs ("There's a Great Big Monster Under My Bed," "On Top of Spaghetti," "Puff the Magic Dragon," "Abi-yo-yo," etc) and folk songs.

Some of the folk songs are traditional type ones. "County Roads," "Deportees," "Midnight Special," "This land is Your Land," Blowing in the Wind" - songs like that.

But I also have a taste for humorous or satirical songs. Some I wrote - "Maggie (was a boozer)," "The Shower Song," "Nukes," or "I'm Gonna Live 'Til the Day I Die."

But there's also a wealth of songs by others out there that I like.

Pete Seeger's version of "Give Me that Old Time Religion"
"Bottle of Wine"
"Blood on the Saddle"
"Henry My Son"
"Does your Chewing Gum Lose it's Flavor on the Bed Post Overnight?"
"Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"
"My Get up and Go Has Got Up and Went"
"Psychotherapy"
"The Swimming Song"
"The Scotsman"
"Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"
"Henry the Eighth"
"The Frozen Logger"

Some I've done, some I plan to learn. And there are more out there. People keep touting "I'm My Own Grandfather," for example, but I have to admit I've never heard it!

(UPDATE: I've now listened to two versions of "Grandpa." It didn't grab me.)

Given my voice, humor - and folk music -  seem the way to go.

Pax et bonum

No comments: