Saturday, August 1, 2015

August 1 - turning the corner


I can't speak for other teachers, but August 1 is often the date I turn the corner on summer.

July, I could put off school related things, be on vacation. But August 1 has me starting to think about what I need to do to prepare for the year.

There are those books I need to read or reread - especially for the new courses. I have four courses this year - one of which I've never taught, two I haven't taught in a while.

There are materials I need to gather. What essays, poems, stories will I have my writing workshop students read as examples? What versions of classic myths might serve my world literature students better? What native American poetry can I add to supplement the Native American pieces in the text? When do I meet with the students for the clubs I moderate?

And then there's Harper Lee's new book sitting next to my bed, waiting, taunting. But, I've been putting it off - Atticus is a bigot????

Plenty to do.

I'm trying to keep positive - I lost my favorite course in part because the principal needed a lure for a new teacher he wanted to hire. Given my tendency to be sarcastic, snarky, I have to be careful what I say. I've been going into the school to water the plants in my room and clean out more old worksheets and papers - including sadly packing up everything related to that course - at times when I know the principal won't be around, just in case. It's been hard to look forward to the year with enthusiasm.

Yeah, I know, not very Franciscan. I've been reading about Venerable Solanus Casey to find a model and inspiration for my words and actions!

Venerable Solanus, pray for me.

Pax et bonum

No comments: