Friday, August 21, 2015

So, what's wrong with this blog


I was thinking about  that competition for Catholic blogs. This blog wouldn't have a chance even if nominated, so I'm not bent out of shape over that.

But it got me thinking about the nature of this bog.

Or lack thereof.

Beyond the infrequency of posts, I think that's one of the problems with this blog - it has no
"nature," no character, no consistency. Sometimes it's a diary. Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it deals with issues. Sometimes it's political.

The blogs that make it have a clear focus, a clear voice. This blog does not.

My old blog was closer to having that character. It was not the most popular blog - but it did generate discussion and debate, and drew five times more visitors. I stopped that blog because I was afraid that it would cause problems at work - and started this one with greater anonymity (so the visitor drop made sense!). But that older blog also had a more sarcastic, combative edge, and as a Franciscan I was trying to get away from that.

I just haven't found my Franciscan voice yet.

Sort of parallels my writing inconsistency - I'm a poet. No, I'm a playwright. No, I should write fiction. What about horror? Oooo, mysteries.

So maybe my problem is partly due to me not knowing who I really am.

Hey, you're 60. Figure it out!

And here we have one of my diary type posts.

Sigh.

Pax et bonum

No comments: