Sunday, August 30, 2015

Gospel haiku


On twitter, I encountered Matt Gutting, who writes what he calls "Gospel haiku." The haiku are like so many of the other subject haiku  - carku, catku, Red Neck haiku, etc. - they are not true haiku in the classic sense, but that does not mean they are not poetry.

Some of Gutting's efforts -

John told off Herod;
His wife had the Baptist killed.
Such courage, in me?

Five foolish virgins,
Buying oil, missed the Bridegroom:
Are my flasks empty?

"You must be prepared:
He will come, unexpected."
Help me stay awake!  

He also writes Hobbit Haiku and Summa Haiku.

Inspired by his Gospel Haiku, I've started trying my hand:

Doers of the word
and not only hearers is
what we're called to be

(based on today's readings)

Peter joins the Lord
walking upon the water
gets sinking feeling

Let's see if I can keep this up. Heck, I've written more than 200 slug haiku!

Pax et bonum

No comments: