Friday, August 7, 2015

Republican Debates: Carly Fiorina and Marco Rubio were the winners


There were two Republican debates yesterday - with the 17 presidential candidates split between them, with 7 at the earlier one, and the top 10 (according to the polls) at the later one.


I'm a long-time supporter of Mike Huckabee. He did well during the later debate. But I think Marco Rubio clearly won that debate. Both had some great lines. Both came out strong for life.


Various pundits say Scott Walker, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich did well. I don't agree with them entirely.  I thought Cruz came across as kind of creepy, and Kasich's gay marriage response, while popular - and even understandable - raised some questions in my mind, though I do appreciate his social justice focus. Carson seems like a wonderful, intelligent person, but did not come across as presidential. Walker held his own.

Others were okay, but I think Rand Paul and Donald Trump really hurt their campaigns - and their chances. I also think Jeb Bush and Christ Christie didn't help their chances.



During the earlier debate, Carly Fiorina was the clear winner. Great lines, sharp, displayed knowledge. I think she really opened a few eyes, and likely put herself into the top tier. I also liked Bobby Jindal, though he was a distant second. I hope Fiorina moves up to the main stage next time. I don't know if Jindal will be around to do so, but would welcome it.

None of the others at the early debate impressed me at all.

At this point, I still like Huckabee or Rubio for President. I could see Fiorina for Vice President. I'd also vote for Walker or Kasich.

But that's a long way away.

Pax et bonum

No comments: