Thursday, June 18, 2020

Civil War Christmas Play


I'm reading a history of the Christmas Truce in 1914 during WWI (Silent Night by Stanley Weintraub).  I knew a little about it about the truce, and I had even seen a movie about it (Joyeux Noel), but I wanted to know more.

As I was reading, I was reminded of a Christmas short story I wrote years ago about three Union soldiers and three Confederate soldiers declaring their own truce and spending Christmas at a farmhouse with a woman and her two young children, including a sick infant.

As I thought of the story, I realized it might make a good play, especially for schools. The story has a lot of dialogue, so it could convert pretty easily. Almost all of the action is st in one room in the house, so it would be relatively easy to stage.

Now that all my grading is done and my classroom almost cleaned out, it's time to devote mor etime to writing.

Pax et bonum

No comments: