Friday, April 2, 2021

Baseball Been Berry Berry Bad ...


I've been a baseball fan since the 1960s. I had baseball cards. I remember sneaking a transistor radio with an ear bud into school to listen to the World Series. 

Remember when World Series games were played during the day?

And I've been a Mets fan since 1969. I remember during the 1986 National League Championship series against Houston when one of the games was being played during a mini schedule night at the school where I taught and the History Department set up a television in the hall so parents (and teachers) could watch. I was one of those who watched.

I bought baseball magazines every year to help assess players and teams. I've even had fantasy teams over the years, winning my leagues a couple of times.

Last year's Covid shutdown was torture. I rejoiced when baseball started up with a shortened season.

Then all the kowtowing to the BLM movement came into play. Players refusing to play, sometimes walking off the field.

Including, one night, even the Mets.

I stopped watching. I stopped following. 

This spring, I was thinking of giving baseball a chance again.

But in the wake of the false stories about the new Georgia election law, baseball pulled the All Star Game from Atlanta.

I watch sports to enjoy athletic excellence and to celebrate healthy competition, not to witness capitulating to fear and greed.

I watch sports to relax, to escape all the political insanity and the outright lies out there.

I guess even on the diamond I can't get away from the nonsense.

I won't be watching this season.

Maybe never again.

Pax et bonum

No comments: