Friday, April 2, 2021

Trent's Last Case (Bentley)



I've been hearing for years that E.C. Bentley wrote a highly regarded mystery novel. I had known him as a friend of G. K. Chesterton, and the creator of clerihews, the four-line humorous verse form I write, and which was named after him (his middle name is Clerihew).

I got ahold of a copy Trent's Last Case and decided to read it, because of its reputed quality, and one of my dozen mystery books for the year. (It's the 10th one already, by the way).

Two great mysteries in a row! (I had just finished The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey.)   

Bentley did indeed add a twist to the traditional "great detective" stereotype - so the ending was a surprise. The detective remained appealing, though. The writing overall was more literary that is typical of many mystery books these day, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I highly recommend this book.

Pax et bonum

No comments: