Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Rock of Faith No More



For more than a decade I was a member of a church band, Rock of Faith. It was a great experience. But then covid hit, and we couldn't play in church.

Now that things are loosening a little in terms of covid, the parish is checking to see if we are willing to play again. Unfortunately, playing in church involves following the new volunteer protocols imposed by the diocese to provide legal cover in the future following the sex-abuse scandal and bankruptcy protection. 

All volunteers - musicians, cantors, lectors, religious education teachers, youth group leaders, etc. - need to take an online course, and sign a volunteer pledge. Okay, I have no problem with that. But then we have to submit to a background check, and part of that involves submitting your social security number, or passport information, or driver's license.

Mind you, I taught for 25 years. I've done training and background checks for that. As a mall Santa, I also had to do that. Those were for paid positions, and ones involving direct interaction and contact with children. I was not happy about it, but understood and complied. Of course, I passed with flying colors every time

But for a volunteer position involving playing guitar and singing, or, as a lector, standing by myself reading? That, for me, crosses the line. I find it intrusive and insulting.

I announced I would not be playing with the group unless the policy changes. Since that's not likely for any time soon, I basically quit. So has the other guitarist for similar reasons. I don't know if anyone else will quit, but this might spell the end of the band period.

All to provide the diocese cover if there are any future lawsuits.

Sad. Rock of Faith was a great musical experience with wonderful people.



I will miss them. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: