Saturday, November 27, 2021

That Hideous Strength (Lewis)



Given the current climate in the U.S., over the last year or so I've read or reread a number of dystopian novels. Recently, I read an essay that described C.S. Lewis's That Hideous Strength as a dystopian novle. That had never occurred to me - but it made sense given what I remember of the book (having read it some 40 years ago).

So I reread it this past week.

Yes, with N.I.C.E. and the attempts to create a dictatorship and to reshape the human race, it does fit the genre.

But it also had a strong spiritual element that most of the books lacked - and had a hopeful ending. It was a celebration of what is good and natural. 

Plus, it was a good read!

I'll have to read the first two books in the trilogy at some point.

Pax et bonum

No comments: