Saturday, October 12, 2024

More On Dieting (sort of)



Earlier this week I noted I have begun a diet with a goal of losing 30 pounds, and that I was cutting out sweets of various forms except on Sundays and for special events.

So far, I've lost 3 pounds, and I have been able to avoid all those sweet temptations.

Good.

Another "diet" I've undertaken is reducing the number of books I own. I started this a couple of years ago when I instituted a rule that I had to get rid of two books for every new book I acquired. Then when I retired I got more serious - I've donated more than 1,000 books over the last four years, including more than 100 this year so far.

But then, I also keep acquiring books, just not to the scale I did so before.

The most recent additions are:

Tolkien: Man and Myth by Joseph Pearce
The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful by Joseph Pearce
The Father's Tale by Michael O'Brien
The Sabbatical by Michael O'Brien
Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset 

Light reading? I think not! They total more than 3000 pages, with two of the books topping 1,000 pages.

Yikes. 

I've always enjoyed Pearce and his takes, and I just finished a biography of Tolkien, so I wanted more.

I've also enjoyed Michael O'Brien, so his books were a natural.

As for Undset, I have read only one work by her, but Kristin keeps showing up on lists of recommended books, so ... 

Of course, I already have several books on my "To Read" shelf. 

Hey, at least none of them are diet books!

Pax et bonum

No comments: