Wednesday, November 7, 2012

We all lost on November 6


Back in 1972 I woke with a sick feeling the morning after Richard Nixon got re-elected.

I awoke this morning with a similar feeling.

I can't fathom how, given President Obama's attacks on life and religious liberty he could have won. Catholics and people who claim to be pro-life must have voted for him. Did they not understand? Were they not paying attention?

If even just the Catholics had paid attention he should have gotten millions fewer votes. I haven't seen any exit polls yet about the Catholic vote, but I bet he got a lot of them - even of the regular church goers.

Romney was a less than ideal candidate, but given the choice he was the more tolerable.

Obviously the voters of this nation did not agree.

I also note than millions of few people voted in 2012 than in 2008. Did the overwhelming negativity of this year's campaigns and the poor quality of the candidates keep some people away? I don't know.

This election convinced me that I need to focus lesson being a part of this world and instead on serving God's kingdom. I'll still vote. I'll still speak up. I'll still pay attention. I'll still try to educate people about Planned Parenthood and the abortion industry. I'll continue to pray.

But, to be honest, I have less hope for our country and our society than I did just two days ago.

We all lost.

One other note. Back in 1972, I was aware of the rumblings about Watergate. When my father - a Nixon supporter - greeted me the morning after the election, I said, "He won't last the term." I had an inkling that the investigation would bring him down, of at least a strong hope that it would, and it did.

I wish I could say the same thing this time around. It would be some comfort.

Pax et bonum

No comments: