Tuesday, July 3, 2012

St. Thomas

Today we deal with doubt.

St. Thomas famously doubted that Jesus had come back unless he could see and touch the Lord.

So many of us "believe" - but not really. We need to see. We need to touch. We need to have something concrete before us before we really believe.

And unless we have those concrete things, we tend to go through the motions. We do what needs to be done - as long as it's not too inconvenient. We go along with what's easy or most comfortable or even most pleasurable for us.

I think of the way we vote. Sure, there are all those moral issues, but what we tend to vote on is how it directly affects us. So many of us would vote for an evil person as long as we are are economically comfortable.

I know I have failed many times.


I once quipped, "Faith is believing in something despite the facts." I pray that I would be truly guided by faith in all that I do, and not by what's easy or comfortable or pleasurable.


Pax et bonum

No comments: