Friday, July 27, 2012

PATTI SMITH - Constantine's Dream (inspired by St. Francis!)



One of the quirks of my musical tastes is that I like punk. Not all, but I do own albums by The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, and more. I listen to others, including The Thirsting (a current Catholic punk band).

I used to jokingly perform folk-punk songs.

A Franciscan with punk inclinations? Forgive me John Michael Talbot.

Yesterday while at a music store I bought a copy of Smith's new album, Banga, having heard positive buzz about it. I didn't get a chance to listen to it.

For fans of John Michael Talbot and Gregorian chant, Smith, a poet/singer/musician is often called the Godmother of punk. Her biggest hit was her version of Bruce Springsteen's "Because the Night." She also  covers songs by and tours with Neil Young.

The Boss and Young. Two other reasons why I like her.

Then today I wandered over to From St. Anthony's Walnut Tree and found he'd posted about an article discussing  Smith and the song on the album called "Constantine's Dream" that was inspired by St. Francis!

I'm playing the album now.

Here's the article.

Enjoy.

I bet even JMT would give her a listen.

Pax et bonum

No comments: