Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Converting (no, not a faith issue!)

I have a lot of old cassettes. A lot. They fill a large drawer.

Beatles. Dylan. John Michael Talbot. The Traveling Wilburys, Neil Young, Pete Seeger, The Kinks, The Urban Squirrels.

And more.

I pretty much only play cds now, especially in my car. I don't want to rebuy all of those albums - and some are now out of print. So how to convert them?

Apparently there are machines you can buy - at a couple of hundred dollars. There's also the possibility of just using a digital audio recorder, playing the tapes on a tape player and recording them, then loading them from the digital recorder onto my computer to burn cds.

Not the best thing for a technical oaf like me. And I'm not sure the sound quality would be the best.

I went to a music store and they sold me a device that supposedly I can hook into my cassette player and my computer to load from one to the other. I brought it home. I can't figure out where to plug it in to the cassette player.

See technical oaf comment above.

I may take my payer and the device back to the store as say, "Okay, how can I make this work?" If they can't help me, I'll go back to the digital audio recorder route.


I'm getting older and my hearing is getting worse anyway!


Pax et bonum

No comments: