Saturday, September 8, 2018

Confession is good for the soul


I got to Confession today. It was needed, and good.

I find many spiritual writers and commentators recommending frequent Confession. One common suggestion is getting to Confession at least once a month. That has not been my practice, but I think they are right and I will try to do so.

There are a number of areas on which I need to work. One is my habit of being harshly critical and sarcastic. I tend to make too many such comments on social media - and to write too many poems of that sort. After I came home from Confession I deleted one such poem from this blog, and so the links to it on social media no longer work.

I will try to be more careful in the future. It's okay to raise legitimate objections about questionable policies, actions, and laws, but such objections should not be harsh and sarcastic in nature. And humor is fine, as long as it is not cruel.

This is in keeping with my Franciscan vocation.

I need to be more positive and affirming. I need to praise what is true, beautiful, and good.

Pax et bonum

No comments: