Monday, March 30, 2020

Trump's Management Style


After three years of watching President Trump's management I have to admit that it is not one with which I'm comfortable.

Yes, I know it is a style a number of CEOs use, but if I were working for any of  them - or him - I'd likely look for a new job.

His style seems to be to toss out idea after idea after idea to solicit feedback - including objections, refinement, and son on - then to announce a decision. He also is very imprecise in his language, which the writer in me finds off-putting.

It seems so scattershot, and it's hard to tell what the he really is considering or if it's just something being tossed out. I would find that tiring and frustrating,

I prefer a more orderly style in which the CEO states a problem, solicits input from the relevant people, compiles a list of possibilities which is the n shared with the relevant people for their vote/consensus, then announces a tentative decision, solicits refinements, then makes the decision.

Of course, his style does seem to work for President Trump. He is richer than I'll ever be, and  he managed to get elected President and do a decent job of running the country.

So while I may find his style frustrating, if I were reporting on it I would be aware of it and take it into account in my reporting, not jumping at and reacting to every idea tossed out.

That's where some folks in the media are going astray in their reporting.

(Now, as for his bombastic, boastful speaking style, and his constant insults - I've criticized them previously.)
Pax et bonum

No comments: