Monday, November 16, 2020

Subscriptions (and books)


A while back, I noted that I subscribed to a number of magazines.

There have been some changes.

I still receive:

Gilbert!
StAR (St. Austin Review)
Frogpond
Scifaikuest
The Catholic Worker

The first two are due to my love of G.K. Chesterton, and the Catholic arts. The next two feed my haiku/poetic needs. And the last one is because of my admiration for Dorothy Day. 

I did let a few lapse, but then picked up some new ones:

First Things
New Oxford Review
Smithsonian

The first two of the new ones was for Catholic intellectual thought.
The Smithsonian is because they offered me an incredible deal, and I like history and the arts.

Still reading multiple books. currently reading three main works:

The Path to Rome (Hilaire Belloc)
God's Door-Keepers: Padre Pio, Solanus Casey, and Andre Bessette (Joel Schorn)
Black as Night: A Fairy Tale Retold (Regina Doman) 

Belloc was one of Chesterton's good friends, is himself a good writer, and this one is often cited as his best book. 

Blessed Solanus Casey is my Secular Franciscan patron, and he and his fellow "doorkeepers" have a place in my heart, as that's the role I really want in my Fraternity.

Doman's book appeared on several lists of best contemporary Catholic fiction. And I like the fast that her "seven dwarfs" are Franciscan Friars!

I'm also reading in small doses two books of poetry:

Poetry of the Spirit (edited by Gerard E. Goggins)
North of Boston (Robert Frost)

The first is an anthology of spiritual poetry. I'm enjoying that it lets me sample different poets' work. And Frost is my favorite poet, but I've read his "best" poems, not many of his full books. I'm workign on remedying that.  

Pax et bonum

No comments: