Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Dickens (Yes, another reading goal!)


When I went to graduate school, one of my goals was to study under one of the leading Charles Dickens scholars in the U.S., George H. Ford. I had read a little of Dickens, and I wanted to read and learn more.

Alas, Ford went of sabbatical the year I entered grad school, and due to life and choices I made, I left after earning a Masters and before he returned.

I did read a little more Dickens, abut not nearly as many books as I should have.

I hope to remedy that as I read - adding Dickens to my goals concerning Shakespeare, mysteries, and Tony Hillerman, who, of course, fits in with my mystery goal.

Dickens wrote the following novels:

The Pickwick Papers 
Oliver Twist 
Nicholas Nickleby
The Old Curiosity Shop 
Barnaby Rudge 
Martin Chuzzlewit 
Dombey and Son 
David Copperfield
Bleak House
Hard Times 
Little Dorrit 
A Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations 
Our Mutual Friend 
The Mystery of Edwin Drood 

I've already read David Copperfield, Bleak House, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations and the novella A Christmas Carol. David Copperfield, Bleak House, and Great Expectations are generally ranked as his best novels, so I'm in good shape there. 

Oliver Twist, Hard Times, The Old Curiosity Shop, Nicholas Nickleby, Our Mutual Friend, and The Pickwick Papers often rank high. 

I own David Copperfield, Bleak House, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations - all of which, as a I noted, I've already read - and The Pickwick Papers, Hard Times, Dombey and Son, Our Mutual Friend, Nicholas Nickleby, and The Old Curiosity Shop, none of  which I have read. Time to read them - and some of the others.  

Not setting a definite number goal for this year, but I'll try to read at least one of the previously unread ones.   

Pax et bonum

No comments: