Monday, March 1, 2021

Faith & Witness


I had a good conversations with the editor of Faith & Witness, a publication of St. Irenaeus Ministries here in Rochester. He had heard that I wrote poetry, and that prompted our conversation.

Faith & Witness had not been published in print since 2016, and there have only been sporadic articles online since that time. The editor wants to resurrect the publication developing it online and with a goal of perhaps publishing a quarterly with the best of the online material. 

He mentioned that in addition to the kinds of essays and reviews they've run in the past he's interested in making it more literary in nature, with short stories, plays, novels in installments, and children's stories - in addition to the poetry. The focus will still be keeping the material classical and/or Catholic in nature.

He was hoping that I would be interested in contributing.

I sent him some of my poems to start - clerihews, haiku, and cinquains. I have some other things in mind that I've already written.

But I'm also thinking about new material.

One idea hit me earlier today. I'm currently reading a collection of Peter Maurin's Easy Essays. They are catechetical pieces about theology, politics, philosophy and more in a free verse poetic style - almost as if Walt Whitman had found faith!

Could I do some of those?

Much to think about. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: