Saturday, March 27, 2021

The Daughter of Time (Tey)



I kept seeing references to The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey on a number of best mystery novel lists. The fact that it also dealt with history, and that the author is actually a Scottish writer by the name of Elizabeth MacKintosh, convinced me I had to read it.

I can see why it made those "best of"  lists. 

What a remarkable book. The plot makes sense, the characters are appealing, the writing is excellent, the premise - a modern, bed-ridden police investigator being caught up in and ancient murder case - was clever and skillfully handled.

And it also makes a compelling argument that Richard III was not the horrible, misshapen monster that killed his nephews that the Tudor sycophants and even Shakespeare tried to make him out to be.

I don't know the truth of the Richard case, but I do agree with those who rate this book high. It's one of the best mystery/police investigation books I have ever read. 

I want to read more by Tey.

Pax et bonum

No comments: