Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Henry IV Part II (Shakespeare)


My quest to read all of Shakespeare's plays continued with Henry IV Part II, meaning that there are now 20 of his credited 38 plays under my breeches.

This particular play was part of a group of four, and I'd already read the other three - Richard II, Henry IV Part I, and Henry V.

The play read like a sequel - which it is. Henry (IV) had begun to emerge from his wastrel ways in the previous play, and to begin to escape the negative influence of Falstaff. That is completed in this play, but, to be honest, it's less satisfactory than Part I. And there's too much Falstaff - I guess he appealed to certain members of the audience, so Shakespeare gave them what they wanted.

Ah well.

Not sure which one I'll read next. I'm up to 6 plays this year en route to my mini goal of 12 for the year, I suspect I will surpass that total.

Here's the life-time tally so far:

Henry IV Part II
Antony and Cleopatra
The Life and Death of King John
Twelfth Night
The Tragedy of Richard II
As You Like It
Richard III
The Taming of the Shrew
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Merchant of Venice
Henry IV Part I
Henry V
Julius Caesar
Hamlet
Othello
King Lear
Macbeth
The Winter’s Tale
The Tempest  


Pax et bonum

No comments: