Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Coel and Shakespeare and Christie


I finished three books recently - bringing my total for the year up to 49!

First up was The Ghost Walker by Margaret Coel. 


I had read one of the other books in this series a few years back, and liked it. I was reminded of that while I was compiling a list of mystery works I'd read in recent years, and so decided to read another one of hers.

It was a solid mystery.  The main characters were likable - I have a hard time if I don't like the heroes. The premise was plausible. It had some good dialogue. 

I did find myself wondering if some of the characters would really do what she had them doing, though. And the writing, while good, was not sensational. It was just the second book in the series, though, so maybe they get better. The other book of hers that I read, The Shadow Dancer, was later in the series and was indeed a better book.   

While not of the quality of a Hillerman or a Ellis Peters mystery, it was still a decent novel. I'll definitely look for more of her books at the library.


The second work was Henry VIII by Shakespeare - the 7th Shakespeare I've read this year en route to trying to read all of his play. (Up to 21 of the 38 acknowledged plays now.)

I'd seen some raters of Shakespeare putting this one far down on their lists. I don't agree. While it was not a top-tier Shakespeare (and there are indications he only wrote part of it) it was still a decent play. It read more like something he (and his partner?) turned out to produce something new that would draw an audience. 

Given the time period - and the potential danger of writing anything the royals would not like - the play treats Henry far better than he deserved, and Anne "Bullen" as far more innocent and maidenly that she likely really was. St. Thomas More is mentioned in passing, but the crimes against him were not brought up. I find it interesting that the most heroic character in the play is the Catholic Queen Katherine. 


The third book was another mystery and another Agatha Christie, Curtain, the last Hercule Poirot book and a book that appears on many "best of" lists of Christie's books. 

It was a good, well-crafted book. There were a couple of twists at the end that surprised me - though she had been fair and had given clues along the way! 

I'll be honest, though: I found the narrator annoying at times, and I was troubled that a "good" character did something really morally wrong, and basically got away with it.

Maybe there's a reason I like by novels a Catholic vision!

Still, I enjoyed the book, and will certainly read more Christie.

Indeed, I will happily read more works by all three writers.

Pax et bonum

No comments: